E-Learning Module: Biogas
This module aims to train professionals in the field of knowledge of biogas to help disseminate knowledge to society in order to achieve excellence in the field of energy and environment within the globalized context of a social environmentally friendly economy.
Its general objective is to provide a global perspective of Biogas in the energy and environmental context within Latin America and the Caribbean region (LAC). The module presents the theoretical basis concerning the anaerobic digestion process and are shown technical aspects needed to gain a broad understanding of this renewable energy from the source of production to final use, in its different areas such as: characteristics of the resources, available technologies, composition and production, current applications and new developments. It also provides information about some biogas projects in progress in the LAC region and an unusual strategic project - PROBIOGAS - including a collection of inter-related scientific and technological activities with the common aim of developing sustainable systems for producing and using biogas in agro-industrial environments, demonstrating its viability and promoting it in Spain.
The ultimate aim of the module is to equip students with the basic knowledge and skills required to be able to carry out the assessment and definition of sustainable projects and activities around biogas as an energy source in LAC.
The main objectives of this module are:
- Bring closer and introduce students on the knowledge of Biogas showing its evolution over time in order to stimulate the implementation of this renewable energy in LAC.
- Present the different types and characteristics of current biodegradable waste (agro industrial waste, manure, organic fraction of municipal waste, sewage sludge), available as a resource for biogas production and its current importance as an energy source to evaluate the biogas potential in LAC region. It will make a special mention of agricultural residues, and will be released to students a biogas plant operating in the LAC region. Also, students will be informed about unusual and strategic project PROBIOGAS, conducted in Spain, and whose activities have been focused on the biogas obtained from materials of agro-industrial origin.
- Present the environmental and energy benefits that can be obtained with appropriate management of biodegradable waste. To enable students to identify the existing potential waste, the current use and the potential of biodegradable waste for biogas production in their respective countries.
- Study of biogas production process and raise awareness of the various types of existing anaerobic digesters, and the selection of the most appropriate depending on the characteristics of biodegradable waste to be treated. Teaching anaerobic digesters to application in rural developing countries.
- Study the biogas generation process that occurs in landfills and mining infrastructure and also the extraction and use infrastructure and removal benefits. Enable students to apply the model of landfill biogas production LandGEM version 3.02 of the EPA to a landfill located in LAC countries.
- Teaching the bioreactor landfill concept and expose the research being carried out especially in the United States in order to take it into account as a possible future implementation in LAC.
- Studying the composition and characteristics of the biogas by showing the different applications that biogas currently has and the new technology developments that are taking place. Analyze the possible uses applicable in LAC.
- Perform an analysis of the most appropriate specific actions that should be carried out in LAC countries to promote the potential of biodegradable waste and biogas that can be used for thermal, electrical or other uses.